Congratulations and welcome to TDV! So, you’ve got a brand new spotless bandanna,
shiny tag, and a spiffy ID—but no place to go? Here’s what to do…
- GO TO TDV WEBSITE’S “VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES” WEBPAGE (IN THE MEMBER SECTION)
You will find a list of facilities that have requested visits (always changing!).
- GOT ANOTHER PLACE IN MIND?
Got a place in mind that you want to visit? Contact your Member Support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) and they will contact the facility to get them set up for visits and gather basic information. Then you can work with the facility to determine the details, like when you want to visit!
- KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
Each facility has its specific rules and arrangements (in addition to the TDV guidelines) for volunteers. Make sure you know all of the facilities guidelines before you start, and brush up on TDV’s guidelines and policies too. If not already covered in the facility’s guidelines, here are a few things you may want to ask before you start visiting a new place:
- Does the facility allow other pets? (so you and your dog don’t get surprised by a llama in the hallway one day!)<
- How will I know who and who not to visit?
- Are there any special infection control guidelines (for example, some facilities do not allow patients to feed a dog treats)? How are isolation rooms marked?
- Are there any other safety regulations I should know about?
- In case of an emergency when I am in the facility, who should I contact? (important if you are visiting evenings or weekends, when regular staff is gone for the day).
- Do you prefer scheduled visits or drop in? What are your expectations for how often I should visit and what times?
- Do I need to sign in or check in with someone each time I visit? Do I need to wear any special identification? Is there a dress code? Is there a volunteer orientation or special training?
- It can be helpful to visit the facility and do a “walk through” without your dog the first time–get a feel for the facility, the people, find a place your dog can relieve itself, etc.
- UPDATE TDV
Let TDV know where you are visiting so we may update our member database and insurance provider for your coverage.