—Isa, German Shepherd & therapy dog (typed by Deb Helfrich, Vice President)
QUESTION: I’ve gotten emails from members who are organizing events. I’d like to do that too! What’s involved? – Jack, Great Dane & Caroline (TDV member)
ANSWER: TDV often gets invited to set up a booth or make an appearance at an event. Your TDV leaders receive these requests and tell members about them via email, the website, or newsletter—sometimes asking for a member to organize it. Or, if there’s a community event in your town or school that might want a TDV presence, let TDV know!
ORGANIZING AN EVENT
- Get all the details: time, location, expectations, space provided, when you can set-up, what the event provides and what you need to bring (such as a table to put things on, shade for dogs, etc.), if it’s a dog friendly place (yes, some events are not dog friendly!), if there are fees or other requirements (such as proof of insurance).
- Contact TDV to make sure we’re not already attending the event, or check there’s no reason we might not want to attend (for example, we might not want to endorse a political campaign or religious movement by setting up an official booth). Also, if there are fees, you must contact TDV beforehand to get approval for expenses.
- Publicize. If you want to invite other TDV teams, let TDV know and we’ll put the word out.
- Organize and Manage. If you are working with other teams, communicate times, place, expectations, directions, etc. Follow-up with an email a few days before the event. Get phone numbers in case there are last minute changes or cancellations.
AT THE BIG DAY
- Make sure you are clear about set up time and any rules the event may have •
- Remember—you are representing TDV—so do so with pride and according to guidelines! (for example, have your dogs clean, on short leashes, and always in control!)
AFTER THE BIG DAY
- Consider sending a thank you e-mail or note to TDV teams who worked with you at the event
- Return borrowed materials/left over brochures to TDV
- Consider writing about the event for our newsletter, with any photos you took at the event
HOW TDV CAN HELP YOU PULL OFF AN EVENT
- Publicizing to help you recruit members (newsletter, website, e-mail broadcasts)
- Paying for fees for your event (all fees must be a approved by TDV in advance)
- Lending you materials (PowerPoint presentation, display boards and banners, brochures)